OAKLAND CEMETERY
ABOUT US

Oakland Cemetery is a not-for-profit corporation which started In December 1863, in the midst of the Civil War. Citizens of the Indiana area attended a meeting at the courthouse to discuss the need of securing a new cemetery for the area. By March 30, 1984, Oakland Cemetery became incorporated and helped it become the second oldest cemetery in the Indiana area.

In December 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, citizens of the Indiana area attended a meeting at the courthouse to discuss the need of securing a new cemetery for the area. By March 30, 1984, Oakland Cemetery became incorporated and helped it become the second oldest cemetery in the Indiana area.

The first burial was in August of 1864 and it was the infant son of the Carson family. However, many bodies were exhumed and moved from St. Bernard’s and Greenwood Cemeteries so some of the death date further back than 1864.

The Elkin Mausoleum was built in 1916 by Mrs. Adda Elkin, widow of Justice John P. Elkin of Indiana. The Elkin Mausoleum is often the most recognizable structure in the cemetery as it overlooks what is today Oakland Avenue.

In the upper level of the granite structure, two spots were designated for Mr. and Mrs. Elkin, 12 additional catacombs in the rear wing were built for immediate family members and an additional 18 catacombs were installed in the crypt of the mausoleum

In 1949, the Congregation of Beth Israel Synagogue entered an agreement with the Cemetery Association and a portion of the cemetery containing about 400 plots was set aside for the Jewish Community.

Today, when walking through the cemetery, the stories of the buried come alive. The stories are told through the headstones, the
old Oaks hold secrets and time stands still.